There are a number of reasons why a transaction has failed, the most common reasons for declines are:
- Wrong PIN entered: Try again with the cards associated PIN number
- Expired Card: Check the debit cards expiration date.
- Limit Exceeded: The attempted transaction exceeds the withdrawal limit of the account.
- Bank’s Fraud Rules: The bank's fraud rules blocked the transaction.
- Out of network card: That will happen if you use a credit card or in some less common situations where the debit card is not on any of the debit networks that work with this program. Typically if you see that at all you will see it in the small credit union cards. You will be able to determine if this is the decline reason by the terminal presenting an error as "NO SUCH ISSUER".
- Insufficient Funds: The account did not have sufficient funds to cover the transaction amount at the time of the transaction.
- Comm Error: This refers to the fact that the terminal is having difficulty connecting to the servers for it to charge a card. Similar error is ‘keys loaded’, this refers to the 1-3 processors active on each terminal, they each are linked to a Key.
- Active Route Not Found: The terminal does not have an active SPin connection. The connection is created, but not active.
- Service Busy: The terminal is experiencing difficulty connecting to the server.